You must, by law, keep track of every transaction involving your tax and superannuation affairs as your company s established, operated, sold, changed, or closed. For making and sustaining all the records of the company bookkeepers of Melbourne can help with their expert services. More particularly, you must:
- Any records pertaining to the revenue and outgoings of your company
- Any paperwork outlining the choices, estimates, determinations, or calculations you make for the tax and super affairs of your company, together with the foundation or methodology used to arrive at such estimates, choices, or calculations.
Make sure you comprehend the records required for your organisation and incorporate precise and thorough record-keeping procedures into your everyday operations in order to comply with your record-keeping obligations and avoid frequent mistakes. You might need to reevaluate the documents you need to preserve as your firm develops or changes.
Bookkeepers in Melbourne said that if your company does not adhere to these record-keeping rules, there may be legal and financial repercussions.
What is a Record?
The super and tax-related transactions that your business made are documented in a record.
In order for us to appropriate the significance of the transactions to the revenue and costs of your firm, the record must contain sufficient details for ATO to ascertain the essential purposes or characteristics of the transactions.
Typically, the following details must be included in the record at a minimum:
Date, amount, and nature (like sale, wage, purchase, or rental) of the transaction, as well as any pertinent GST information for the purpose of the relationship between the parties to the transaction, if applicable
Five Record Keeping Rules
Bookkeeper in Melbourne said that the majority of the records your company must maintain to satisfy your tax, super, and employer requirements fall under these five record-keeping guidelines. These are founded on legal theory and ATO opinion:
- All documentation pertaining to the beginning, operation, modification, sale, or closure of your business that is pertinent to your tax and retirement affairs must be kept.
- Make sure you have clear paperwork to support the business portion of your expenses if they relate to both personal and business use.
- The applicable data in your records must not be altered (for instance, through the use of electronic sales suppression techniques) and Melbourne bookkeeper suggests that it must be stored in a way that prevents alterations of the data or record damage.
- We can require you to provide proof that you have the necessary measures in place.
- If your record-keeping system evolves over time, you must be able to recreate your original data.
- Most records must be kept for five years.
- Bookkeepers of Melbourne said that the five-year retention period typically begins from the later of the dates on which you prepared, obtained, or completed the transactions or acts to which the records pertain. The law specifies that the beginning of the five-year retention period may alter in certain circumstances.
- For instance, the five-year period for documents pertaining to fringe benefit tax (FBT) begins on the day that your return was filed.
- Records for employee superannuation contributions, the five-year period begins on the contribution date
- Bookkeepers in Melbourne said that when an employee is provided, chooses, or modifies their choice of fund. Records for super fund choice for your employees are kept for 5 years starting from the date of employee engagement.
- Some records must be kept for longer than five years in certain circumstances, such as during the term of review for an assessment that relies on the information in the record.
- Any normal procedures you have in place for erasing digital records must be documented.
- If we ask to see your records, you must be able to provide them.
- Keep track of your record-keeping system’s details so that we can verify that it complies with the regulations for maintaining records.
- Bookkeeper in Melbourne said that the data on the record contains the applicable information to fulfill your tax, super, and employer requirements.
- If you keep your records and data digitally
- If utilising an encryption system, respond to requests for the encryption keys and information on how to access the data. Additionally, you must confirm that we can extract and transform your data into a common data format
- Encrypting your records with passwords and making access information available
- As you store your data, make sure it is labeled, indexed, and recognised. It might be necessary to extract it before examining it with an indexing or text-search system.
- Your documents must be in English or be easily translatable into English.
Reliable Bookkeeping Services company is one of the best companies in the Australia with their most trusted bookkeeping services. They have highly proficient and skilled Melbourne bookkeepers.