Rental and other rental-related income refer to the total amount of rent and associated payments that you receive or become entitled to when you rent out your property, regardless of whether it is paid to your agent or you. In your tax return, Bookkeeper in Melbourne said that you have to include your share of the total amount of rent you earn.

Rent or associated payments that you receive or become entitled to when renting out part or all of your home through the sharing economy or when renting out your vacation home are included in your rental income.

Bookkeeping in Melbourne professionals said that rent and related payments may be made in the form of goods or services. You will have to figure out how much these are worth. If a tenant gives you goods or property instead of money as rent, you report the market value of the goods or property as rental income on your tax return.

RENTAL-RELATED INCOME
If you are entitled to keep rental bond money small business bookkeeping experts said that you must include it as income because a tenant defaulted on the rent or harm to your rental property necessitated maintenance or repairs.

If you received an insurance payout, the payout may need to be included as income in certain circumstances, such as if you collected an insurance payment to pay off you for lost rent.

Professionals of bookkeeping services Melbourne said that you must include any letting or booking fees you received as part of your rental income.

All amounts you receive or become entitled to as part of the normal, recurrent, and repetitive activities through which you aim to produce a profit from the utilisation of the rental property are considered associated payments.

You can have to consist of an amount as income if you received a reimbursement or recoupment for deductible expenses. Bookkeeping in Melbourne experts suggests considering the following scenario:

  • You must include the entire amount in your income you receive an amount from a tenant to cover the cost of repairing damage to some part of your rental property and for the repairs cost you can claim a deduction.
  • You may need to comprise an amount in your income if you receive a government rebate for the purchase of a depreciating asset, like a solar hot-water system.
  • Limited recourse debt arrangements.
  • Depreciating assets 2021 (NAT 1996).

CO-OWNERSHIP OF RENTAL PROPERTY
The way rental expenses and income are split between co-owners differs depending on whether the co-owners are joint tenants, tenants in common, or part of a partnership that lets rental properties.

Dividing Income and Expenses According to Legal Interest
Bookkeeper in Melbourne said that co-owners who are not in the rental property business must divide the rental property’s income and expenses according to their legal interests in the property. If they are the owner of the property as:

  • They are joint tenants and have an equal stake in the property.
  • They may have unequal interests in the property as tenants in common, for example, one may have a 20% interest and the other an 80% interest.

    Despite any agreement among co-owners, either oral or written, stating otherwise, rental income and expenses must be credited to each co-owner according to their legal interest in the property.

Co-Owners of an Investment Property (Not in Business)
Small business bookkeeping experts said that an individual who simply co-owns an investment property or several investment properties is usually considered an investor because he or she is not engaged in the business of letting rental properties, either with the other co-owners or alone. This is due to the limited scope of rental property activities and the limited extent to which a co-owner participates actively in rental property activities.

Partners Carrying on a Business of Letting Rental Properties
The majority of rental activities are investments rather than business operations. Bookkeeping Services Melbourne providers said that when you run a rental property business in partnership with others, however, you must divide the net rental loss or income according to the partnership agreement. Whether or not the legal interests in the rental properties differ from the partners’ rights to profits and losses under the partnership agreement, you must do so. If you do not have a partnership agreement, split your net rental income or loss equally among the partners.